Inspiration Bored of New Year Resolutions? Create a Vision Board
Year after year, most of us commit to New Year’s Resolutions that are oftentimes too big or have an unrealistic time frame. This leads to an inevitable loss of time, focus and interest, because when we see the whole picture, we realize that we cannot execute the whole plan realistically. However, I have discovered that there’s an alternative to this goal-setting technique, which I personally use; it’s based on all three senses – audial, visual and kinesthetic. In this article, I’m going to share it with you some useful and effective vision board ideas.
So let’s begin with turning on your pleasant music and making sure no-one is going to disturb you during this exercise. You can do it on your own or with your best friend, but I would suggest it shouldn’t be crowded. You need to concentrate and get into the mood.
Here are the things that you’ll need:
- Markers (optional)
- Pleasant music
- Your imagination and ideas of what you want to transform in your life
Plus for a vision board itself:
- Poster board; a large piece of paper; large size canvas or canvas board; even a piece of wallpaper
- Variety of magazines with lots of pictures you like; internet and colour printer
- A picture of you where you look happy (at least one)
- Double-sided tape/glue/glue sticks
Once you have all of these things prepared, you’re good to go! Let’s begin!
Step 1: Reflect on your accomplishments this year, and write them down in your journal:
- The best things that happened this year
- The biggest change or challenge this year
- The things that worked well this year that you want to continue
- The goals for the new year, in different areas of your life
This exercise helps develop self-awareness and promotes positive thinking. It makes you recognise that if there’s something in your life that you don’t enjoy, YOU have the capacity to change it. Awareness is the first and most important step towards the positive changes that you desire to take place in your life.
[easy-tweet tweet=”Awareness is the first and most important step towards the positive changes that you desire to take place in your life. ” template=”light”]
Step 2: Think of the changes that you want to happen in your life
What do you want to change? All of us have an innate desire to change for the better. May it be with our eating habits, our work ethics, or even with our workout plans; there is always something that we want to achieve for ourselves.
Start the second step by making a list of all the things that you want to change in your life, whatever it may be! Don’t be afraid to list down both big and small things, but make sure that you think long and hard about what you really want to happen in your life. If you are having trouble with this step, don’t worry: here you can discover 5 ways to set goals in a mindful way.
What would you like to change in your life?
- Divide your plans into categories: work, personal life, family life, relationships, etc.
- What are the changes that you want to happen in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and in one year in these categories?
- How do you plan on making each one thing happen?
Be clear on your next goal. Having a purpose in mind before you start adding inspirational quotes is fundamental to create a vision board that helps you meet your goals. To make your goals more appealing and important for your subconscious mind, list the reasons WHY you want and need them to happen.
Write these reasons down next to each goal. This will create an urge and help you understand whether you truly desire it or you are just pressured into achieving it because of external factors such as social expectations, or anything that’s not even important to you.
Now that you have the list of your major goals on hand, it’s time to proceed to the next ster: let’s create the board itself!
Step 3: Create the Vision Board
To begin with this change, you need to have a picture of yourself that visualizes a compelling future; at least, one that you desire for yourself. This must show a photo that is so important for you that you can’t make any excuse to get it in reality. It should be something that makes you feel a burning desire to succeed and achieve it; something that makes you crave to work to get it. It should be emotionally strong and make you feel much happier than how you feel in the present situation.
This is a vision board that will make you create a vivid picture of your compelling future for the new year. This will help you visualise, motivate, and steadfast in your pursuit. Here, we’ll use even more creative power techniques, and use our visual and kinesthetic senses. You’ll be creating a collage of images of where you would like to be, what you would like to do and have in your life.
Now take your prepared supplies for the vision board, and let’s begin!
Taking away all obstacles, imagine what is possible in your life as if you had unlimited time and resources. Sit quietly, close your eyes, breathe deeply in and out; while you are concentrating on your breathing patterns , visualise your intentions in life and feel them.
Vision board ideas
- Open your eyes, and look through the magazines. Cut out any images and words that inspire you, and whatever you desire: house and car of your dreams, the lifestyle you aspire, places you’d like to visit, experiences you’d like to try, fashion style you like, etc. Cut them out and lay them down.
- Go through the images and words you cut out and intuitively choose what brings you joy and feels right for you; then, put aside the rest.
- Place your photo of yourself in the centre of the board, and the rest of the cut-outs around it. You can create it according to the sections below or as you like yourself. Do this intuitively. Feel free to imagine your wildest dreams, without setting limitations for yourself. It’s a great idea to replace the head or face of the people on the photos from the magazine with your own people; this will be helpful to attract desired experiences or activities, etc.
Here is a more detailed version of the areas you may want to work on for your vision board. You can use the colours and symbols of the energies associated with each area.
Unleash your creativity!
- Glue the images, add favourite quotes, affirmations and let yourself be creative; you can draw or write any details to specify your dream.
- Place your vision board in your most private area, where only you can see it (i.e. in your bedroom/ home-office / inside of your wardrobe/ wardrobe door, etc)
- Look at it daily, use words of affirmation and really feel the happiness and fulfilment from experiencing the desired changes in your life
- Don’t forget to do your daily journaling! Create a cycle of gratitude for what is already coming to your life and specifying your goals as your life is revealing day by day.
We wish you to have fun in creating the life of your dreams. Don’t forget to enjoy the process of creating your board as well, and please share your success stories with #zenartsupplies on our social media channels @zenartsupplies.
Good luck and Have a magical 2019!
MEET THE AUTHOR
Ardak Kassenova is mother, artist and ZenART Supplies co-founder. “My heart and soul were always with Art, and since my childhood as long as I remember myself, I was dreaming to be an artist. I was painting after work, when I had time, and teaching myself through the books, videos, visiting art galleries and museums. I’ve been very curious about different techniques and styles, and therefore accumulated knowledge and experience on a variety of mediums”.
After 20 years of a successful corporate career and with becoming a mother to two wonderful girls, she decided that it’s time to make drastic changes and link her life with Art. She started to paint again and decided to create her own art supplies brand that would help artists to fulfil their creative dreams and achieve their best results since the beginning using high-quality art materials without wasting their precious time and money. Say hello to @ardak_zenart on Instagram!
You may also Like
Our aim is to provide you with the best quality artist materials while supporting you on your creative journey.